Tuesday 29 March 2016

StoryCorps: You have a Story the World needs to Hear




Personally think that the idea of StoryCorps is truly great for human to connect and understand each other well. In 2003, the founder, Dave Isay, started a StoryBooth in New York which welcomed anyone to walk in and had a meaningful interview with the other person. The whole process would be recorded by the aid of a facilitator. The participants would have a copy of the interview and the story would also be stored in the Library of Congress.

Before the launch of StoryBooth, Dave Isay was shocked with the revealing truth that his father was a gay. Their conversation brought his curiosity to interview a few people who involved in Stonewall inn (a gay bar) incident, which later sparked the gays right movement.  


The interview opened Dave's eyes as he met with lots of people with courage and at the same time, fixed his relationship with his father. Later on, the story was told through the radio program to the whole nation. He continued to make radio documentaries. After he interviewed the last flaphouse hotel in Manhattan, he showed the book version to one of the residents there. He shouted, "I EXIST! I EXIST!"

I was amazed by the phrase "I Exist". 

I EXIST. Through my story.

Whether it is big or little, it will be recorded and saved. Dave has gave opportunities for stories to be heard. 

Among the people in the interviews, Dave selected a few to show to the audience. One of it was an interview between Oshea Israel and Mary Johnson.

Oshea murdered Mary's only son when he was a teenager. Later, Mary actually met Oshea in the prison. What will be your feeling when you met the murderer of your only son? Can't imagine how hurt and how hard it is for Mary. However, Mary made friend with Oshea and forgave him. When Oshea was freed, he moved to stay beside Mary's house. 

A short but meaningful excerpt from their interview:

Mary: My natural son is no longer here. I didn't see him graduate, and now you're going to college. I'll have the opportunity to see you graduate. I didn't see him get married. Hopefully one day, I'll be able to experience that with you.

Oshea: Just to hear you say those things and to be in my life in the manner in which you are is my motivation. It motivates me to make sure that I stay on the right path. You still believe in me, and the fact that you can do it despite how much pain I caused you, it's amazing.

Mary: I know it's not an easy thing to be able to share our story together, even with us sitting here looking at each other right now. I know it's not an easy thing, so I admire you can do this.

Oshea: I love you lady.

Mary: I love you too, son.


There were many times when you thought wrongly 
about a person based on your own thoughts
and without knowing that person's story.
If you listen to that person's side of the story,
you will see that it is different to what you had thought.
(Pastor Joshua Jung)


Dave Isay is not merely a person who make documentaries, but a history maker as well as a person who showed us the bright side of humanity. Many people say the world has changed, the people has turn bad and we are not safe, causing us shadowed by the dark side of the society which may be just a spot of it. Dave discovered that, throughout the period of interviews, human are basically good.

So, why not listen to the story and understand each other better?

Watch Dave Isay in Ted Prize:

2015: Founder Dave Isay receives the 2015 Ted Prize, and launches the StoryCorps App, as an all-new tool for collecting the wisdom of humanity.

More info: StoryCorps



No comments:

Post a Comment